NEW CHURCH – CALLED TO BE A CHURCH PLANTER?:
To Become a planter the following steps are required:
- THE DISCERNMENT PROCESS
Persons interested in becoming Planters must:
- Complete the two online surveys: (“Planter Assessment” and “Spiritual Gifts Assessment“).
- You will receive your own results; forward them to Jim Ozier: email@example.com
- Be recommended by the person’s DS to attend the New Church Leadership Institute;
- Attend the New Church Leadership Institute
- Write a self-reflective essay.
- THE ASSESSMENT PROCESS
Each person who has completed the Discernment Process shall take the following steps to be assessed for possible appointment:
- Complete the “Application For Planting Pool” which includes:(appendix 2); DISC, TEAM work style, Conflict Resolution style, and ProfileXT Planter suitability, submission of 2 sermons on CD and 1 worship service on DVD, and grant permission to the CNCD to conduct a background check and credit check;
- Go through the Conference Assessment Interviews;
- Complete the Pre-appointment Strategies and Benchmarks for Launching a New United Methodist Church. (appendix 3);
- Provide 3 letters of recommendation. (appendix 4);
- Complete any other assessment tools that may be determined by assessment interviews and/or the Director.
Non UM clergy: Prior to beginning the assessment process, it is the responsibility of a prospective Planter who holds ministerial status with a denomination or body other than the United Methodist Church to clear with the Bishop their eligibility to receive an appointment or to be assigned to a New Church Start within the Conference. This written documentation must be presented to the appropriate DS and to the CNCD.
Non US citizens: Prior to beginning the assessment process, it is the responsibility of a prospective Planter who does not hold US citizenship to present written verification to the appropriate DS and the CNCD that her/his immigration status allows employment in the United States as a Planter.